• Always work across the grain. (For clarification...work perpendicular to the grain, opposite the grain or against the grain.)
• Pressure should be light for the first few layers. Pressure can be increased for subsequent layers.
• The second layer should be laid in at a diagonal
• The third layer in the opposite diagonal
• Fourth layer across the grain.
• Work dark to light. I prefer to work dark to light for 3 reasons:
1. I believe you can achieve better values. The idea is to use the dark values as anchors then build up the lights.
2. The pigment flies, which makes the paper dirty.
3. If you lay your light areas first, they will get contaminated.